Friday was an incredibly exciting day--the inauguration of the stoves! Since the stoves were built in two different communities, we decided to do separate events in each community. Up first--inaugurating the 15 stoves built in the community of Tzanabaj!
 |
| Diego (my counterpart) helping decorate |
Being a Guatemalan event, the main order of the day were speeches. Speeches were given by the director of our health center, my counterpart, myself, the mayor, and the ladies. I must say, of all the Guatemalan events that I have been too, this was the quickest. Usually the speeches drag on forever, but I think we were all getting hungry for the lunch that was to follow, so we managed to keep it brief.
 |
| All the ladies listening intently to the speeches |
 |
Me giving a speech, everyone got a kick out of me wearing traje,
and were very impressed when I opened my speech in K'iche'.
Just don't tell them that all I can say in K'iche' are greetings. |
 |
| The ladies presenting me with a gift of appreciation, a beautiful scarf |
After the speeches, we moved on to one of the houses for the official ribbon cutting!
 |
| Ribbon cutting with the mayor |
We finished up with lunch, which I have no pictures of, as I was busy stuffing my face and embarassing myself. I was on such a high after my "speech" in K'iche', that I tried to show off some more with the mayor. I tried to tell him to eat, and apparently I actually told him that I want him. Oops...
After lunch, all the ladies insisted on having their picture taken with me!
Once again, thank you everyone for your support! This would not have been possible without all your help!
 |
| With one of my favorite ladies, Roselia |
No comments:
Post a Comment