To back up a bit, my work here (the Healthy Homes project) has two phases. Phase 1: health education and training of health promotors. Phase 2: the building of infrastructure. In my case, I was planning to build a mix of stoves, letrines, cement floors, and water deposits, with a total of 56 projects. However, because I now have less time to work with, my counterpart and I have decided to scale back the project to 31 stoves for the families that I have been working with the longest. And, I will be staying in my site an extra month after I am officially done with Peace Corps to make sure that the projects are a success and are not rushed.
Why stoves? Most of the women I work with cook over open fires. The smoke generated by the burning wood causes eye problems and respiratory problems, especially in the children of the family. The stoves we will be building will improve the health of all members of the family by reducing the amount of smoke in the home. Additionally, the health education that the women will be receiving throughout the course of the project will hopefully lead to overall healthier homes and families.
So, 31 stoves in 90 days? It's going to be a crazy ride to the finish, for sure!
Feeding a big family without a stove to cook on
Women's group in Tzanabaj--planting veggies to cook on their new stoves!
No comments:
Post a Comment